Vacuum Cleaner Buying Guide For Carpets
Carpets are great for your home because they can immediately make your interiors look more chic and cozy. In addition, they can also offer incredible health benefits in terms of improving air quality and reducing the number of allergens in your surroundings. Despite these advantages, carpets can be hard to maintain, especially if you have kids or pets constantly running around.
Before you know it, you’ll find dirt buildup, shoe marks, and different kinds of stains on your carpets. Now the question is: how do you clean them?
Whether you want to minimize the dirt on your carpet and keep it looking brand new or just want to have a versatile home vacuum to rely on, this guide will take you through everything you need to know.
Factors To Consider Before Buying A Vacuum Cleaner
Before you can find the perfect vacuum for your home, there are certain factors you need to consider, which are:
The Size of your Home
The first component you need to be mindful of is your home’s size. If you have a relatively small house with limited space available, a bulky vacuum cleaner will not work for you, regardless of its powerful features. If so, you need to limit your options to vacuum carpet cleaners that are portable and easy to store.
The second component you need to consider is the stairs. If you live in a multi-level property, getting a vacuum that’s heavy and hard to carry around may not be the most practical decision. For this reason, a lightweight stick vacuum is recommended.
The Floor Surface
The third factor to take into account is the floor surface. If you have a combination of hard and carpeted floors, you need to find a vacuum cleaner that can adapt to different types of floors. Doing so will make daily cleaning much easier for you and ideally take a load off your shoulders.
The Family Situation
Finally, after inspecting your home setup, it’s time to evaluate your family situation. For instance, if you have children or pets, you can expect your carpet and floors to get messy more often, ranging from pet hair and paw marks to crayons, markers, and food spills. Therefore, finding a powerful, heavy-duty vacuum cleaner is essential to help you manage your household and keep it as tidy as possible.
Different Types Of Vacuum Cleaners
Now that you know the factors to consider before buying a vacuum cleaner, the next step is to browse appliance stores to find what you need. Based on your home and family situation, you have to ask yourself: “What’s the best vacuum for carpets available right now?”
In order to find what type of vacuum cleaner is best for carpets, you need to be familiar with the advantages and disadvantages of each variety. These include the following:
This is arguably one of the most popular types among homeowners. It’s perfect for removing dust and dirt from your carpet and cleaning large floor areas quickly. What makes upright vacuums so sought-after is their versatility to cater to different types of floor surfaces. So, whether you want to clean carpets or hard floors, this is an excellent choice for you.
- Pros: Unlike other varieties, upright vacuums tend to be more affordable and efficient. They can typically deep clean carpets better than other vacuums and are relatively easy to store. For these reasons, it is the perfect type for homes and apartments of all sizes.
- Cons: The downside, however, is that it’s heavy and loud. They weigh 20 pounds and tend to have a noise level of over 70 decibels. If you don’t want to experience these inconveniences, it might be better to look at other varieties.
A canister vacuum is made up of two parts: the vacuum body with the powerhead and the canister that contains the filter, dust bags, and main motor. Both of these parts are connected by a flexible plastic hose.
- Pros: Compared to an upright vacuum, a canister vacuum cleans bare floors, stairs, and hard-to-reach spaces better. What’s more, it usually comes with additional attachments that allow you to clean even upholstery and drapes. Because of its separate powerhead, it’s quieter and lighter than the previous type. For these reasons, a canister vacuum is an ideal choice for multi-purpose cleaning.
- Cons: Despite its advantages, there are also disadvantages to using this vacuum in terms of its bulk and overall composition. For one, its storage compartment makes it hard to store the vacuum in a small closet. For another, its different components make it more complicated to set up. Because of these, a canister vacuum is not recommended for those who want a simple and easy-to-use cleaner.
Cordless Stick Vacuums
If you’re looking for the smallest and lightest option available in the market today, a cordless stick vacuum is the one for you. It’s portable and effortless. Its thin frame makes it easy to clean every nook and cranny of your home.
- Pros: Through recent innovations, the performance of a cordless stick vacuum has significantly improved, making it one of the leading vacuum varieties in the market today. It can clean carpets, bare floors, and pick up pet hair with ease.
- Cons: Because this vacuum is made with the latest technology, it’s one of the more expensive types you can find. Regardless, it will still be a good investment if you find a high-quality product.
Corded Stick Vacuums
Unlike a cordless stick vacuum that runs on batteries alone, a corded stick vacuum needs to be plugged into a main power source so they can operate. Because of this, it has a much stronger suction power and can therefore give you better results, especially on carpets.
- Pros: Aside from its powerful performance, a corded stick vacuum is generally thin and lightweight, making it easier to work with and store away. Its size is also beneficial in terms of flexibility and versatility. Since it has a stick body, it can effortlessly reach hard-to-reach places, particularly under the furniture and tight spaces. Even considering all its features, though, a corded stick vacuum is still more affordable than its cordless counterpart.
- Cons: While it might seem to perform the same as — if not better than — a cordless stick vacuum, it’s still not up to par with other full-sized vacuums. In fact, the capability of most corded vacuum models is to only pick up surface dirt. It is not strong enough to penetrate deep within the carpet fibers to remove deep-seated dust and grime.
If convenience and mobility are what you’re looking for in a vacuum, this option might be right up your alley. A handheld vacuum is one of the lightest and smallest types you can find in the market today.
Because of its compact size, it’s best used for getting the dirt out of vents, closets, blinds, upholstery, and car interiors. More specifically, it’s handy for cleaning cobwebs on the windowsill, small spills on the countertops, and food crumbs on the crevices. So, if you’re looking for an instant solution that’s useful in intricate situations, this is the product for you.
- Pros: Don’t let its size fool you. Even though it’s small, it has incredible suction power that’s perfect for a light and quick surface cleaning. In addition, it’s also adaptable. Meaning, you can use it on a variety of surfaces, ranging from carpets to bare floors and everything in between. Compared to the other vacuum types, this miniature model can target even the smallest of details, making general deep cleaning all the more efficient.
- Cons: Just like the corded stick vacuum, one of the problems with the handheld model is its tiny dirt compartment. Typically, most models can accommodate only about 0.25 gallons of dust and dirt, which is half the capacity of a corded stick vacuum.
Even though the vacuums available today are made with the latest technology to give you convenience and optimal efficiency, sometimes, you just don’t have the time to do the cleaning yourself. That’s where a robotic vacuum comes into play.
It is a programmable and self-propelled device that can do all the work for you. All you have to do is set the schedule, and it takes care of all the rest. It’s equipped with sensors that help it navigate around your home and weave through obstacles with ease, so you don’t need to keep watch over it. Just imagine: you can do your work, hang out with friends, or spend time with family without having to worry about vacuuming the house.
- Pros: The biggest benefit of having a robotic vacuum is that it gives you more freedom and flexibility with your schedule. All you need is a smartphone device to control this vacuum, and you’re good to go. With this gadget on hand, you can dedicate more time in the day to do what you want. Plus, it’s small and lightweight, so it’s easy to incorporate in any home setting.
- Cons: Naturally, because of its technological integration, robotic vacuums can be expensive. Some models can cost up to more than $1,000. The key is to know what brands to rely on and what specific features to look for.
Whether it’s your pets shedding, kids playing, or guests coming and going, a busy house is bound to get dirty in no time. Whatever the case may be, you’ll need a reliable vacuum that’s ready to use and easy to manage.
A central vacuum cleaner is an integrated system that allows you to clean your house faster and more conveniently. It contains three main elements: the power unit, a concealed ducting network, and a 30-foot vacuum hose. While these are the essential parts, some may contain other cleaning tools and accessories that can help make cleaning better for you.
- Pros: Compared to other vacuum types that feature a connecting canister, the central vacuum is simpler to use. Moreover, it’s much quieter than other varieties because its power unit is located in either a utility room, basement, or garage.
- Cons: Due to its configuration, a central vacuum is pricey. It will also require professional assistance for installation. But before you can install it, you first need to find a wide storage space to keep the power unit and the 30-foot hose.
Once you’ve made up your mind that a central vacuum is the right fit for your home, you’ll have to choose the right size. To give you a better idea, the capacities can range from one gallon to more than 10 gallons. In order to find the ideal model, you must take into consideration what you’ll use it for and where you can store it.
Features To Look For When Buying A Vacuum
Now that you have a basic idea of what each type of vacuum can offer, it’s time to dig deeper and look at what specific features you need to look for, such as:
Perhaps the primary feature to look for when buying a vacuum cleaner is its suction power. It is what influences the performance of your vacuum, so the higher the suction capabilities, the better the results will be.
As a rule of thumb, try to look for a model with at least 200 watts. This suction power is sufficient enough to remove grime and dust particles from the surface. However, if you need more power to tackle deep-seated dirt from your carpet, a vacuum cleaner with more than 300 watts is ideal.
Adaptability To Flooring Surfaces
Although your main goal is to find the perfect vacuum cleaner for your carpet, it helps to select a model that can also adapt to other floor surfaces in your house. Fortunately, most of the vacuums mentioned above are versatile enough to cater to different floor and carpet types. Some of them — like the upright vacuum, central vacuum, or the cordless stick vacuum — come with additional accessories. Having these extra tools available can make cleaning carpets and floors that much easier.
Besides these, you should also be particular about the amount of noise the vacuum will produce. As much as possible, you should buy a vacuum carpet cleaner that runs quietly to avoid unnecessary disturbances and hearing damage. To achieve this, you need to find a product that has a 60 to 65 decibel range.
Benefits Of Choosing The Right Vacuum Cleaner
While it can be overwhelming and time-consuming to browse through a broad spectrum of products, you’ll be surprised with how many benefits you can enjoy when you find a vacuum cleaner that’s right for you.
For one, the right vacuum cleaner can purify the air and destroy possible pathogens that can trigger allergic reactions. For another, it can also protect the quality of your carpet.
Using the right vacuum cleaner to address the dirt on your carpet will not only minimize the potential damage on its fibers, but also help to extend its lifespan.Carpets usually last anywhere from 5 to 15 years, butif you take care of it well and use the right cleaning tools, you can extend its lifespan without deteriorating the quality.
Related Article: How To Vacuum Carpets The Right Way
When Do You Need To Hire Carpet Cleaning Services?
Yes, it’s true that finding the ideal vacuum cleaner can make a world of difference in your cleaning routine and the quality of your carpet. When your rug undergoes severe damages like persistent stains, uneven fibers, or dull coloration, though, it’s time to call in the professionals.
SaniClean Dry Carpet Cleaning is your #1 place for all things carpet cleaning. From addressing simple spills to tackling more complex problems, our team of experts can help you protect your carpet and preserve its original quality. So, if you’re interested to know more about how we can be of service to you, call our experts today!
Related Article: Should You Hire Professional Carpet Cleaners or Do It Yourself?